Generic Name and Formulations:
Mecasermin 10mg/mL; soln for SC inj; contains benzyl alcohol.
Ipsen Biopharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for INCRELEX:
Growth failure in children with severe primary IGF-1 deficiency (Primary IGFD) or in those with growth hormone (GH) gene deletion who have developed neutralizing antibodies to GH.
Limitations Of use:
Not a substitute to GH for approved GH indications.
Closed epiphyses: not recommended.
Administer before or after (+/–20 minutes) a meal/snack; rotate inj sites. <2yrs: not established. ≥2yrs: initially 0.04 to 0.08mg/kg SC twice daily; may increase after 1 week by 0.04mg/kg per dose; max 0.12mg/kg twice daily.
Growth promotion in patients with closed epiphyses. Active or suspected neoplasia. IV administration.
Not for secondary forms of IGF-1 deficiency. Correct thyroid and nutritional deficiences before treatment. Measure preprandial glucose level before treatment and monitor until a tolerated dose is established. Reduce dose if hypoglycemia occurs despite adequate food intake with therapy. Monitor for lymphoid tissue hypertrophy complications. Do funduscopic exam for intracranial hypertension at the start of therapy, then periodically. Evaluate any child with onset of limp or hip/knee pain for possible slipped capital femoral epiphysis. Monitor for progression of scoliosis. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Recombinant human insulin-like growth factor-1 (rhIGF-1).
Hypoglycemia, local/systemic hypersensitivity (including anaphylaxis), lymphoid tissue hypertrophy (eg, tonsillar and adenoidal hypertrophy); intracranial hypertension.
Multidose vial (40mg/vial)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders