Generic Name and Formulations:
Rabies vaccine 2.5Units/mL; grown in human diploid cell cultures (inactivated whole virus); inj.
Sanofi Pasteur, Inc.
Indications for IMOVAX:
Preexposure immunization and postexposure treatment of rabies.
Adults and Children:
Preexposure: 3 inj of 1mL IM each on day 0, 7, and either day 21 or 28. Booster doses: 1mL every 2 yrs (see literature). Postexposure treatment: a 5 dose regimen of 1mL IM given on days 0, 3, 7, 14, 28 or 30 (WHO or ACIP recommendations), and 90 (give 1st dose with rabies immune globulin). If previously immunized against rabies, only 2 doses are given, immediately after exposure, and 3 days later (no rabies immune globulin needed).
Postpone preexposure immunization during acute febrile illness or infection. Immunocompromised: may get suboptimal response (monitor titers). Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Immunosuppressants: may get suboptimal response.
Local reactions (pain, erythema, swelling), systemic reactions (nausea, headache, muscle aches, abdominal pain).
Single-dose vial (1mL)—1 (w. syringe and diluent)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders