Generic Name and Formulations:
Fluocinolone acetonide 0.19mg; implant for intravitreal inj.
Indications for ILUVIEN:
Diabetic macular edema (DME) in patients who have been previously treated with a course of corticosteroids without a significant rise in intraocular pressure.
Give by intravitreal inj. See full labeling for administration.
Ocular or periocular infections. Glaucoma.
Monitor for increased intraocular pressure and endophthalmitis; may include check for perfusion of the optic nerve head immediately, tonometry within 30 mins, and biomicroscopy between 2–7 days post inj. Risk of secondary ocular infections (eg, bacterial, fungal, viral). History of ocular herpes simplex: not recommended. Risk of implant migration if absent or torn posterior capsule of the lens. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Cataract development, increased intraocular pressure; injection-related effects (eg, endophthalmitis, eye inflammation, retinal detachments), others.
Single-use applicator—1 (w. needle)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders