Generic Name and Formulations:
Hydrocodone bitartrate 2.5mg, pseudoephedrine HCl 30mg, guaifenesin 200mg; per 5mL; oral soln; black raspberry flavor.
Mission Pharmacal Company
Indications for HYCOFENIX:
Cough, nasal congestion, and to loosen mucus associated with the common cold.
Use accurate measuring device. ≥18yrs: 10mL every 4–6hrs. Max 4 doses (40mL) in 24hrs.
<18yrs: not established.
During or within 14 days of MAOIs. Narrow angle glaucoma. Urinary retention. Severe hypertension. Severe coronary artery disease.
Risks from concomitant use with benzodiazepines or other CNS depressants (see Interactions). Discontinue if respiratory depression occurs. Drug dependence. Abuse potential (monitor). Avoid in head injury, other intracranial lesions or pre-existing increase in intracranial pressure. Acute abdomen. Cardiovascular disorders. Persistent or chronic cough (eg, smoking, asthma, chronic bronchitis, emphysema) or if excessive phlegm: not recommended. Diabetes. Thyroid disorders. Addison's disease. Prostatic hypertrophy. Urethral stricture. Asthma. Severe hepatic or renal impairment. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. Increased risk of respiratory depression, sedation with benzodiazepines or other CNS depressants (eg, opioids, antihistamines, antipsychotics, anxiolytics, alcohol); avoid. Hypertensive crisis with MAOIs. May affect or be affected by TCAs. Paralytic ileus may occur with anticholinergics.
Antitussive + sympathomimetic + expectorant.
Dizziness, headache, sedation, nausea, decreased blood pressure; respiratory depression, cardiovascular effects.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders