"Detecting depression in the emergency department is of utmost importance," Dr. Brickman and colleagues wrote in their publication.
Risk highest among patients with psych symptoms pre-ICU/psych distress symptoms while in ICU
This nationwide population-based cohort study is currently the largest study to examine infections as a predictor of death by suicide.
Today, most people in the developed world are in hospitals at the end of their lives.
Average payment for patient admission increased more than 110% at hospitals that were part of the largest multi-hospital systems, compared with 70% at all other hospitals.
No significant effect was found for preventing or treating delirium during hospitalization with antipsychotic medications.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Impulsivity in Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, ADHD
- Psychotropic Medication May Reduce Symptoms and Improve Functioning in PTSD
- The Challenges of Identifying Biomarkers of Psychiatric Illness
- FDA Approves Powerful New Opioid Despite Criticisms
- Noninvasive Brain Stimulation of Prefrontal Cortex in Trait Anxiety
- Cannabis Use in Adolescence Associated With Poorer Mental Health Outcomes
- Updates in Borderline Personality Disorder: Your Questions Answered
- Violent Video Games Tied to Physical Aggression
- Shame Drives Suicidal Ideation Among Veterans With PTSD
- Long-term Healthy Diet Associated With Greater Hippocampal Volumes
- Updated Intimate Partner Violence Screening Recommendations for Women
- Patient-Rated Insight Lower Than Clinician-Rated Insight in Schizophrenia
- Multisector Goal Alignment May Curb Medicare Expenditures
- Testosterone Treatment Reduces Symptoms of Depression in Men
- Patterns of Non-Medical Prescription Opioid Use in Adolescents