Neurosurgery Procedures & Complications
Hospitalists will likely be increasingly responsible for the co-management of neurosurgical patients and should be familiar with the most common neurosurgical procedures and managing potential medical complications.
II. Identify the Goal Behavior.
III. Describe a Step-by-Step approach/method to this problem.
Step 1: Determine Revised Cardiac Risk Index (RCRI) score
Step 2: Assess patient's functional exercise capacity
Spinal Decompression and Fusion
IV. Common Pitfalls.
Anticoagulation and antiplatelet therapy:
- Discuss with neurosurgeon before starting anything that could increase bleeding risk
Volume management in patients with subarachnoid hemorrhages:
- Balancing risk of vasospasm with cardiopulmonary status
- Titrating BP meds too fast
Long-term steroid use:
- GI prophylaxis, glycemic control, counseling on muscle wasting/confusion/increased bleeding risk
V. National Standards, Core Indicators and Quality Measures.
No national standards/benchmarks established yet.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders