Neurosurgery Procedures & Complications
Hospitalists will likely be increasingly responsible for the co-management of neurosurgical patients and should be familiar with the most common neurosurgical procedures and managing potential medical complications.
II. Identify the Goal Behavior.
III. Describe a Step-by-Step approach/method to this problem.
Step 1: Determine Revised Cardiac Risk Index (RCRI) score
Step 2: Assess patient's functional exercise capacity
Spinal Decompression and Fusion
IV. Common Pitfalls.
Anticoagulation and antiplatelet therapy:
- Discuss with neurosurgeon before starting anything that could increase bleeding risk
Volume management in patients with subarachnoid hemorrhages:
- Balancing risk of vasospasm with cardiopulmonary status
- Titrating BP meds too fast
Long-term steroid use:
- GI prophylaxis, glycemic control, counseling on muscle wasting/confusion/increased bleeding risk
V. National Standards, Core Indicators and Quality Measures.
No national standards/benchmarks established yet.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children
- Addressing the Uncertainties of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program for Medical School Graduates
- Leana Wen, MD, to Assume Planned Parenthood Presidency
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology