HELIXATE FS Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Antihemophilic Factor VIII (recombinant) 250 IU, 500 IU, 1000 IU; per bottle; dried concentrate for IV infusion after reconstitution; contains sucrose; preservative-free.
CSL Behring, LLC
Indications for HELIXATE FS:
Prevention and control of hemorrhagic episodes or in order to perform emergency or elective surgery in Hemophilia A patients.
Adults and Children:
Dosage Required (IU) = Body Weight (kg) × Desired % Factor VIII Increase × 0.5. Individualize. Infuse over 5–10minutes if tolerated. Minor hemorrhage: 10–20 IU/kg; may repeat dose if needed. Moderate/major hemorrhage or minor surgery: 15–30 IU/kg; may repeat 1 dose at 12–24hrs if needed. Major/life-threatening hemorrhage, fractures or head trauma: initially 40–50 IU/kg, then 20–25 IU/kg every 8–12hrs. Major surgery: pre-op dose: 50 IU/kg (verify ~100% activity prior to surgery); may repeat after 6–12hrs initially, and for 10–14 days until completely healed.
Mouse or hamster protein sensitivity.
Not for treating von Willebrand's disease. Confirm Factor VIII deficiency prior to treatment. Monitor for development of Factor VIII inhibitors. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Inj site reactions, dizziness, rash, dysgeusia, increased BP, pruritus, depersonalization, GI upset, rhinitis; antibody formation, hypersensitivity reactions.
Single-use bottle—1 (w. diluent)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Suicide Risk After Self-Harm Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Safety, Efficacy of Deep Brain Stimulation for Alzheimer's
- Many Teens Who Use Tobacco Don't Self-Identify as Users
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations