Generic Name and Formulations:
Hepatitis A vaccine, inactivated 720 ELISA Units (EL.U.) per 0.5mL (pediatric), or 1440 EL.U. per 1mL (adult); susp for IM inj; aluminum adsorbed; contains neomycin (trace); preservative-free.
Indications for HAVRIX:
Hepatitis A immunization.
Inject into deltoid, preferably at least 2 weeks before expected exposure. >18yrs: 1440 EL.U. once IM; give booster dose 6–12 months after initial course.
Inject IM preferably at least 2 weeks before expected exposure. <12months: not recommended. 12months–18yrs: 720 EL.U. once IM; give booster dose 6–12months after initial course.
Neomycin allergy. Previous hypersensitivity reaction to hepatitis A-containing vaccine.
Have epinephrine (1:1000) inj available. Fever. Bleeding disorders. Immunodeficiency (may have suboptimal response). If given with immune globulin, use separate syringe and different site. Latex allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Immunosuppressives may reduce efficacy. Concomitant vaccines: see literature.
Inj site reactions, headache, fatigue, fever, malaise, anorexia, GI upset.
Single-dose vials—10; Single-dose prefilled Tip-Lok syringes—5 (without needles)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Childhood-Onset Bipolar Disorder Associated With Impaired Family Functioning
- Valproate Use in Women Who Could Become Pregnant: The Argument for Informed Consent
- Hospitalization Rates in Schizophrenia—Lurasidone vs Quetiapine
- Ketamine-Induced Dissociative Symptoms Predict Antidepressant Response
- Review Examines the Effectiveness of Antidepressants for Insomnia
- Video Games and Exercise as Alternative Therapies for ADHD
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- Comorbid Autism Spectrum Disorder and OCD: Challenges in Diagnosis and Treatment
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- Consensus Statement: Managing Bipolar Disorder During and After Pregnancy
- Verbal Memory Linked to Temporal Lobe Thickness in First-Degree Relatives of Those With Schizophrenia
- Associations Between Maternal Depression, Support, and Cognitive Development in Offspring
- Medical Marijuana Users More Likely to Use Prescription Drugs for Medical, Nonmedical Purposes
- Effects of the 2 Types of Anorexia Nervosa on Bone Metabolism