Generic Name and Formulations:
Hepatitis A vaccine, inactivated 720 ELISA Units (EL.U.) per 0.5mL (pediatric), or 1440 EL.U. per 1mL (adult); susp for IM inj; aluminum adsorbed; contains neomycin (trace); preservative-free.
Indications for HAVRIX:
Hepatitis A immunization.
Inject into deltoid, preferably at least 2 weeks before expected exposure. >18yrs: 1440 EL.U. once IM; give booster dose 6–12 months after initial course.
Inject IM preferably at least 2 weeks before expected exposure. <12months: not recommended. 12months–18yrs: 720 EL.U. once IM; give booster dose 6–12months after initial course.
Neomycin allergy. Previous hypersensitivity reaction to hepatitis A-containing vaccine.
Have epinephrine (1:1000) inj available. Fever. Bleeding disorders. Immunodeficiency (may have suboptimal response). If given with immune globulin, use separate syringe and different site. Latex allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Immunosuppressives may reduce efficacy. Concomitant vaccines: see literature.
Inj site reactions, headache, fatigue, fever, malaise, anorexia, GI upset.
Single-dose vials—10; Single-dose prefilled Tip-Lok syringes—5 (without needles)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Suicide Attempts Associated With Sleep and Circadian Rhythm Disturbances in Bipolar Disorder
- Anatomical Patterns Present in Childhood ADHD May Predict Phenotypic Variation
- History of ADHD Associated With Increased Risk for Basal Ganglia and Cerebellum Disorders
- Probiotics, Depression, and the Role of Inflammation
- Psychotropic Medications May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Bipolar Disorder
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- Institutional Rearing Associated With Psychopathology Risk in Children
- Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Screening: Recommendations and Controversies
- Few Seniors Who Self-Harm Referred for Mental Health Care
- Violent Video Games Tied to Physical Aggression
- Vortioxetine Beats Escitalopram in Improving SSRI-Induced Sexual Dysfunction