Generic Name and Formulations:
Nicotine 7mg/24hr, 14mg/24hr, 21mg/24hr; transdermal patch.
Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for HABITROL:
Adjunct in smoking cessation therapy.
≥18yrs: Apply to clean, dry, nonhairy site on trunk or upper outer arm; rotate application site. Remove patch after 24 hours; if vivid dreams or other sleep disturbances occur, remove at bedtime and reapply in AM. >10cigarettes/day: initially one 21mg patch daily for 4 weeks; then one 14mg patch daily for 2 weeks, then one 7mg patch daily for 2 weeks, then stop. ≤10cigarettes/day: initially one 14mg patch daily for 6 weeks then one 7mg patch daily for 2 weeks, then stop. Max 1 patch/24hrs. Do not cut patch.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Concurrent smoking or use of other nicotine products.
Discontinue if irregular heartbeat, palpitations, allergic reaction, or symptoms of nicotine overdose occur. Heart disease. Post-MI. Arrhythmias. Hypertension. Depression. Asthma. Allergy to adhesive tape, other skin problems. Stomach ulcers. Diabetes. History of seizures. Low doses may be toxic to children and pets; discard properly. Pregnancy: not recommended. Nursing mothers.
Remove patch prior to MRI procedures. Smoking cessation potentiates theophylline, insulin, β-blockers, pentazocine, oxazepam, tricyclic antidepressants (eg, imipramine), caffeine, acetaminophen, adrenergic antagonists (eg, prazosin, labetalol), others. Smoking cessation antagonizes adrenergic agonists (eg, isoproterenol, phenylephrine), others.
Local irritation, GI upset, headache, dizziness, palpitations, hypertension.
Patch 7mg, 14mg—7, 14; 21mg—7, 14, 28
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation