Generic Name and Formulations:
Granisetron (as HCl) 1mg/5mL; soln; orange-flavor.
Indications for GRANISOL:
Prevention of nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy (including high-dose cisplatin) or with radiation (including total body irradiation and fractionated abdominal radiation).
Chemotherapy: give only on the days chemo is given. 2mg once daily up to 1 hour before chemo; or, 1mg up to 1 hour before chemo, then 1mg 12 hours after 1st dose. Radiation: 2mg once daily within 1 hour of radiation.
Pre-existing arrhythmias or cardiac conduction disorders. Increased risk of QT prolongation: cardiac disease, on cardio-toxic chemotherapy, electrolyte abnormalities and/or concomitant drugs that prolong the QT interval. Abdominal surgery. May mask progressive ileus and/or gastric distention. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Caution with drugs that affect CYP450 or drugs known to prolong the QT interval and/or are arrhythmogenic.
Selective 5-HT3 receptor antagonist.
Headache, asthenia, diarrhea, constipation, abdominal pain; QT prolongation.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders