Documentation of geriatric assessments during care transitions can be improved with a quality improvement intervention.
There is limited evidence for the benefits of different interventions to prevent late-life dementia.
Although existing management strategies for delirium are limited in effectiveness, researchers are hopeful that improvements in prevention strategies for delirium may be achieved by gaining a better understanding of the role of cognitive and brain reserve.
Results from animal studies have been showing that anesthetics may be neurotoxic and could lead to cognitive dysfunction.
The use of nursing homes is increasing for those who are cognitively impaired.
Antidepressants categorized as potentially inappropriate medication for elderly patients were associated with an increased risk of dementia.
Serum concentrations of second-generation antipsychotics were significantly higher in patients over the age of 70.
Traumatic brain injury is a significant burden on the US health system and is a contributing factor in one-third of all injury-related deaths.
Among older people with visual impairment, 57.2% are at risk for mild or moderate depression.
In older adults, life expectancy and delayed disability are associated with having a favorable behavioral profile.
Contrary to common belief, the prevalence of depression in older adults does not decrease with age.
Antidepressant treatment in combination with DMARDs and biologics led to the best positive dynamics of mental disorder frequency.
Shekhar Saxena, MD, director of the Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse at the World Health Organization, speaks about depression.
Cognitively normal elderly individuals who engage in specific mentally stimulating activities have a decreased risk of mild cognitive impairment.
Research findings support continuation of ECT plus medication in a depressed elderly population.
Recognition of self-reported symptoms that may appear at early onset of amyloid accumulation, such as loneliness, point to opportunities for preventive therapies.
Findings suggest that efforts to encourage more planning aren't working.
Regular late-life volunteering is independently tied to decreased risk of cognitive impairment.
The American Heart Association issues a scientific statement on the possible link between chronic arterial hypertension and cognition.
In 2016, an estimated 5.4 million US adults have Alzheimer disease.
The extent or severity of physical ailments and functional impairment needs to be carefully examined in order to successfully prevent suicide in late life.
Dementia risk was particularly elevated in patients with depression who had higher scores on cognitive tests at baseline.
Researchers examine age-related alterations in memory.
To date, there are no validated biomarkers to independently assess Parkinson Disease diagnosis and prognosis, or to measure disease severity.
Interventions are needed to enhance adherence to prescribed medications, especially in older adults experiencing new episodes of depression.
The intake of dietary fiber among people living in the United States remains low, according to the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES).
Overall, almost half of older Medicare beneficiaries who died in 2012 had persistent high spending throughout the final year of life.
Modifiable risk factors (eg, smoking, hypertension, sedentary behavior, overweight/obesity, and social engagement) contribute to nearly half of documented dementia cases.
Aerobic physical exercise produces numerous health benefits in the brain and may help you live longer.
Symptoms of PBA were observed in nearly three-quarters of patients with dementia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders