Embracing all the myriad variations of the human genome should, in theory, lead to rewards that all can share.
Interaction of Proline and COMT Genotype Influences Negative Symptoms in Schizophrenia & Bipolar DisorderSeptember 27, 2016
The authors explored whether valproate (VPA) treatment effects vary by catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) genotype.
It is hypothesized that multiple single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) work together to influence risk of complex neuropsychiatric disorders such as depression.
Genetic variation can increase the predisposition to major depressive disorder.
Genetic factors and the environment patients share with their partner or spouse may determine their risk of developing chronic pain and help explain the association between chronic pain and depression.
Compared with men, women diagnosed with AUD have higher rates of premature death due to alcohol abuse.
Investigators used decomposition methods to examine the relative importance of genetic and environmental components to the burden of ADHD.
Early life trauma interacts with FKBP5 genotype to predict heavy alcohol consumption in college students.
Appropriate study planning from the outset is one step that can help improve interpretability.
To date, there are no validated biomarkers to independently assess Parkinson Disease diagnosis and prognosis, or to measure disease severity.
Preventing Transgenerational Effects of Paternal Trauma
Approximately 30% of users exhibit signs of marijuana abuse or dependence.
Extreme trauma affects FKBP5 methylation in survivors of the Holocaust as well as in their offspring.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Distinct Characteristics in Children at Risk for Schizophrenia vs Bipolar Disorder
- Nonstimulants May Be an Appropriate Alternative to Stimulants for Treating ADHD
- Psychotic Experiences Associated With Increased Risk for Eating Disorders in Adolescents
- Novel Parent-Child Interaction Therapy Targets Preschool-Aged Depression
- Remission of Treatment-Resistant Depression in Veterans Depends on Close Clinical Observation
- Medical Clearance of Psych Patients in the ED: Consensus Recommendations
- From Abused Child to Serial Killer: Investigating Nature vs Nurture in Methods of Murder
- Managing Comorbid Migraine and Mood Disorders: A Synergistic Approach
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Effective in Reducing Suicide Attempts, Self-Harm in Adolescents
- Should Physicians Treat Family and Friends? Three Experts Weigh In
- Classification Models for Diagnosing Schizophrenia With MRI Neuroimaging
- Sodium Valproate May Lower Amygdala Volume in Pediatric Bipolar Disorder
- Putting Patients in the Physician's Seat: Smartphone Technology Is Changing the Healthcare Landscape
- Unhealthy Food Behaviors May Signal Eating Disorder in Teens
- As Immigration Policies Tighten, Physician Shortage Concerns Grow