While all the sexual minority groups had an increased risk for suicide attempt compared with heterosexuals, transgender youths were at the highest risk.
Associations Among Gender Nonconformity, Mental Distress, and Substance Use Among High School StudentsOctober 15, 2018
These findings demonstrate the importance of developing support systems within schools for gender-nonconforming students.
Gender nonconformity is associated with mental distress for female and male students.
Clinicians should learn how to engage with transgender patients and be prepared to manage unique clinical issues.
In the last 5 years, many clinicians have faced tough questions about how best to serve transgender youth while doing no harm.
Transgender women had higher rates of venous thrombotic events (VTE) with cross-sex hormones. Similar rates of ischemic stroke and myocardial infarction were found among cisgender and transgender persons.
Transgender US veterans have few health differences compared with cisgender veterans, although the odds of having at least one disability are higher for transgender veterans.
Gender-affirming surgery is the only medically necessary intervention specifically denied to US armed services veterans.
Recent research following transgender individuals from late childhood into young adulthood shows that gender-affirmative hormonal and surgical care results in normative global functioning.
These findings suggest an urgent need for improved measures of social and clinical support in transgender and/or gender-nonconforming youth.
In a limited systematic review, hormonal therapy with gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogs (GnRHas) produced some suppression of secondary sexual function, with more success in promoting anticipated masculinization or feminization with the use of testosterone or estrogen, respectively.
Transgender and/or gender nonconforming children and adolescents had higher prevalence of mental health disorders compared to their cisgender peers.
Youth with gender nonconformity are vulnerable to experiencing adversity.
Endocrinologists reported having low confidence in their knowledge about caring for transgender patients.
This study highlights the need for policies and programs to reduce stigmatization and victimization of this population.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Cannabis Use in Adolescence Associated With Poorer Mental Health Outcomes
- Cardioprotective Treatment May Reduce Adverse Effects in Schizophrenia
- Insomnia in Borderline Personality Disorder May Increase Suicide Risk
- FDA Approves Powerful New Opioid Despite Criticisms
- The Challenges of Identifying Biomarkers of Psychiatric Illness
- Heart Rate Variability Predicts Treatment Response in Anxious Depression
- Impulsivity in Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, ADHD
- Psychotropic Medication May Reduce Symptoms and Improve Functioning in PTSD
- Social Decline a Predictor of Conversion Outcome in High-Risk Individuals
- Buprenorphine/Samidorphan Helpful in Refractory Depression