Generic Name and Formulations:
Oxybutynin chloride 10% (1g/sachet); topical gel; contains alcohol.
Indications for GELNIQUE:
Overactive bladder (OAB) with urge urinary incontinence, urgency, and frequency.
Apply 1g gel (one sachet) once daily to dry, intact skin on abdomen, upper arm/shoulders, or thighs. Rotate application sites; avoid use of same site on consecutive days. Wash hands after application. Avoid washing area/showering for 1hr after application.
Urinary or gastric retention. Uncontrolled narrow angle glaucoma.
Bladder outflow obstruction. GI obstruction. Decreased GI motility. Ulcerative colitis. Intestinal antony. Gastroesophageal reflux. Esophagitis. Controlled narrow angle glaucoma. Discontinue if skin hypersensitivity or angioedema develops. Monitor for anticholinergic CNS effects; consider discontinuing if occur. Avoid in myasthenia gravis; discontinue if symptoms occur. Hepatic or renal dysfunction. Minimize skin transference: cover application site with clothing if direct contact is anticipated. Exposure to high environmental temperatures. Gel is flammable. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Caution with drugs that can cause or exacerbate esophagitis (eg, bisphosphonates). Additive effects with other anticholinergics.
Dry mouth, application site reactions (eg, pruritus, dermatitis, papules, erythema), urinary tract infection, dizziness, nasopharyngitis, fatigue, headache, constipation, other anticholinergic effects (eg, CNS).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling
- Nightmares in Military Personnel Frequently Comorbid With Mental Health Disorders
- Potential for SERMs as Adjunctive Therapy for Schizophrenia
- Addressing Racial Disparities in Bipolar Disorder Treatment
- Negative Symptoms Increase Cardiovascular Risk in Schizophrenia