Generic Name and Formulations:
Frovatriptan (as succinate) 2.5mg; tabs.
Indications for FROVA:
Acute treatment of migraine.
≥18yrs: 2.5mg with fluids; may repeat once after 2 hours; max 7.5mg/24 hours. Reevaluate if no response after 1st dose. The safety of treating an average of more than 4 headaches in a 30-day period has not been established.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Ischemic cardiac, cerebro- or peripheral vascular disease (eg, history of MI, angina pectoris, silent myocardial ischemia, stroke, TIA, ischemic bowel disease). Uncontrolled hypertension. Other significant cardiovascular disease. Basilar or hemiplegic migraine. Within 24 hours of other 5-HT1 agonists or ergot-type drugs.
Confirm diagnosis. Exclude underlying cardiovascular disease, supervise 1st dose, consider monitoring ECG in patients with likelihood of unrecognized coronary disease (eg, postmenopausal women, men over age 40, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, obesity, diabetes, smokers, strong family history). Monitor cardiovascular function in long-term intermittent use. Peripheral vascular or colonic ischemia after other 5-HT1 agonists. Severe hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Selective 5-HT1B/1D receptor agonist.
Methysergide, other ergotamines, or other 5-HT1 agonists: see Contraindications. Serotonin syndrome with SSRIs (eg, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, paroxetine, sertraline).
Dizziness, paresthesia, dry mouth, fatigue, flushing, hot or cold sensation, dyspepsia, skeletal pain, chest/throat/neck symptoms (pain, pressure, tightness); serious cardiac events (rare).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Tolerability of Novel Long-Acting Injectable Aripiprazole Tested for Bipolar Disorder
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- Link Between Vitamin D Levels and Intracranial Volume in Schizophrenia
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad