Generic Name and Formulations:
Fosinopril sodium, hydrochlorothiazide; 10mg/12.5mg, 20mg/12.5mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Fosinopril/Hydrochlorothiazide:
Hypertension. Not for initial therapy.
Give once daily. Usual range: fosinopril: 10–20mg; HCTZ: 12.5–50mg. Severe renal impairment (CrCl<30mL/min): not recommended.
Anuria. Hypersensitivity to ACE inhibitors, sulfonamide-derived drugs.
Discontinue if angioedema, laryngeal edema, jaundice, or markedly elevated liver enzymes occurs. Salt/volume depletion; correct before initiating therapy. Renal or hepatic impairment. CHF. Dialysis (esp. high-flux membrane). Renal artery stenosis. Surgery. Diabetes. Gout. SLE. Monitor WBCs in renal or collagen vascular disease. Monitor electrolytes, BUN (if high). Pregnancy (Cat.C in 1st trimester; Cat.D in 2nd and 3rd trimester). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
ACE inhibitor + diuretic (thiazide).
Potassium or K+-sparing diuretics may cause hyperkalemia. May increase lithium levels. Antagonized by NSAIDs. Separate antacid dosing by 2hrs. May cause false low serum digoxin measurements. May antagonize norepinephrine, methenamine. May potentiate nondepolarizing muscle relaxants. Adjust antidiabetic, antigout medications. ACTH, corticosteroids increase hypokalemia risk. May interfere with parathyroid tests. Nitritoid reactions with injectable gold.
Headache, cough, fatigue; hyperkalemia, orthostatic hypotension, angioedema (discontinue if occurs).
Formerly known under the brand name Monopril HCT.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation