Generic Name and Formulations:
Pralatrexate 20mg/mL; soln for IV inj; preservative-free.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for FOLOTYN:
Relapsed or refractory peripheral T-cell lymphoma.
Prior to administration: mucositis should be ≤Grade 1, platelets should be ≥100,000/μL for first dose and ≥50,000/μL for subsequent doses, absolute neutrophil count should be ≥1,000/μL. Give by IV push over 3–5min. 30mg/m2 once weekly for 6 weeks in 7-week cycles. Continue until disease progression or unacceptable toxicity develops. Supplement with vitamin B12 (1mg IM every 8–10 weeks, starting within 10 weeks before first Folotyn dose) and folic acid (1–1.25mg orally daily, beginning 10 days before starting Folotyn and for 30 days after stopping). Severe renal impairment (CrCL 15–<30mL/min): 15mg/m2. Dose modifications for toxicities: see full labeling.
End stage renal disease (including dialysis): avoid, unless benefit justifies potential risk for toxicity. Omit and/or reduce dose to manage toxicities (eg, hematological, mucositis, hepatic impairment); see full labeling. Monitor CBCs and for mucositis at baseline and weekly. Monitor serum chemistry, renal and hepatic function before the 1st and 4th dose per cycle. Monitor for dermatological reactions; withhold dose or discontinue if severe. Monitor patients at increased risk of tumor lysis syndrome. Renal or hepatic impairment. Embryo-fetal toxicity. Pregnancy (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Folate analogue inhibitor.
May be potentiated by probenecid, NSAIDs, trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole.
Mucositis, thrombocytopenia, neutropenia, anemia, abnormal liver function tests, nausea, fatigue, pyrexia, dehydration, sepsis, dyspnea; dermatological reactions (eg, skin exfoliation, ulceration, toxic epidermal necrolysis), tumor lysis syndrome.
Single-use vials (1mL, 2mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Tolerability of Novel Long-Acting Injectable Aripiprazole Tested for Bipolar Disorder
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- Link Between Vitamin D Levels and Intracranial Volume in Schizophrenia
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad