Folic acid injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Folic acid 5mg/mL; soln for IV, IM or SC inj; contains benzyl alcohol and aluminum.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Folic acid injection:
Megaloblastic anemias of folic acid deficiency. Anemias of nutritional origin, pregnancy, infancy or childhood.
Adults and Children:
Usual dose: up to 1mg daily; may need higher dose if resistant disease. Maintenance: infants: 0.1mg/day; <4yrs: 0.3mg/day; ≥4yrs: 0.4mg/day. Pregnant or lactating: 0.8mg/day. Alcoholism, hemolytic anemia, anticonvulsant therapy or chronic infection: may require higher dose.
Use injectable form if disease is severe or GI absorption impaired. Rule out or treat vitamin B12 deficiency prior to treatment. May obscure diagnosis of pernicious anemia. Pregnancy (Cat. A).
May antagonize phenytoin. False low serum and red cell folate levels may occur with antibiotics (eg. tetracycline).
Formerly known under the brand names Folicet (tabs); Folvite (tabs, inj).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Healthcare Community Should Favor More Restrictive Alcohol Policies
- How to Respond to a Patient's Request for Prayer: A Clinician's Dilemma
- Major Barriers to Useful Risk Prediction Must Be Overcome to Reach the Full Potential of Big Data
- ACA Coverage Gains Include Workers Without Insurance
- Steps Provided for Discharging Patients From Practice