Generic Name and Formulations:
Dexmethylphenidate HCl (single-isomer methylphenidate) 2.5mg, 5mg, 10mg+; tabs; +dye-free.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for FOCALIN:
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
Adults and Children:
<6yrs: not established. Individualize. ≥6yrs: initially 2.5mg twice daily. Switching from racemic methylphenidate (eg, Ritalin): ½ of racemic methylphenidate dose. Allow at least 4 hours between doses. May increase by 2.5–5mg weekly; max 20mg/day.
Marked anxiety, tension, agitation. Glaucoma. Motor tics. Tourette's syndrome in patient or family. During or within 14 days of MAOIs.
History of drug dependence or alcoholism; monitor for abnormal behavior. Increased risk of sudden death, stroke, and MI; assess for presence of cardiac disease before initiating. Avoid in known structural cardiac abnormalities, cardiomyopathy, serious arrhythmias, coronary artery disease, and other cardiac problems. Pre-existing psychotic disorder. Bipolar disorder; screen for risk before initiation. Consider discontinuing if new psychotic/manic symptoms occur. Monitor for new or worsening aggressive behavior or hostility. Seizure disorder. Peripheral vasculopathy, including Raynaud's Phenomenon; monitor for digital changes. Monitor growth (esp. children), BP, HR, CBCs, differential, platelet counts. Reduce dose or discontinue if paradoxical aggravation of symptoms occur. Reevaluate periodically. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Hypertensive crisis with MAOIs. Caution with pressor agents. May potentiate coumarin anticoagulants, anticonvulsants (eg, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone), tricyclics (eg, imipramine, clomipramine, desipramine), SSRIs; adjust doses. May decrease effectiveness of antihypertensive agents. Caps: may be affected by drugs that affect pH (eg, antacids, acid suppressants). Risk of serotonin syndrome with serotonergic drugs.
Dyspepsia, dry mouth, decreased appetite, headache, anxiety, anorexia, insomnia, nausea, abdominal pain, weight loss; hypertension, tachycardia, visual disturbances, priapism.
XR 5mg, 10mg, 15mg, 20mg, 30mg, 40mg (YES); 25mg, 35mg (NO); tabs (YES)
XR caps, tabs—100
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents