Generic Name and Formulations:
Fluticasone propionate 50mcg/spray; aqueous nasal spray.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Fluticasone:
Perennial nonallergic rhinitis.
Initially 2 sprays in each nostril once daily or 1 spray in each nostril twice daily (AM and PM). Maintenance: may reduce to 1 spray in each nostril daily. Max total daily doses: 2 sprays in each nostril (200mcg/day).
<4yrs: not established. ≥4yrs: initially 1 spray in each nostril once daily; may increase to 2 sprays in each nostril once daily. Maintenance: 1 spray in each nostril once daily. Max total daily doses: 2 sprays in each nostril (200mcg/day).
Maintain regular regimen. Respiratory tract tuberculosis. Infections (eg, ocular herpes simplex). If exposed to measles or chickenpox, consider anti-infective prophylactic therapy. If adrenal insufficiency exists following systemic corticosteroid therapy, replacement with topical corticosteroids may exacerbate symptoms of adrenal insufficiency (eg, depression). Monitor for growth suppression in children. Monitor for hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occur discontinue gradually), and candida infection or other nasal mucosal changes. Avoid eyes. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Avoid ritonavir. Caution with potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole).
Headache, pharyngitis, epistaxis, nasal burning, asthma symptoms, GI upset, cough, reduced growth velocity in children.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis