Flunisolide Spray Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Flunisolide 25mcg/spray; nasal soln.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Flunisolide Spray:
Seasonal or perennial rhinitis.
≥15yrs: Initially 2 sprays in each nostril twice daily; max 8 sprays/nostril per day.
<6yrs: not recommended. 6–14yrs: Initially 1 spray in each nostril 3 times daily or 2 sprays twice daily; max 4 sprays/nostril per day.
Untreated nasal infections.
Maintain regular regimen. Respiratory tract tuberculosis. Infections (eg, ocular herpes simplex). If exposed to measles or chickenpox, consider anti-infective prophylactic therapy. Reduce dose as condition improves. May use nasal decongestants if needed. Discontinue if no effect after 3 wks. If adrenal insufficiency exists following systemic corticosteroid therapy, replacement with topical corticosteroids may exacerbate symptoms of adrenal insufficiency (eg, depression). Monitor for growth suppression in children. Monitor for hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occur discontinue gradually), and candida infection or other nasal mucosal changes. Avoid eyes. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Nasal discomfort, congestion, sneezing, epistaxis, lacrimation, sore throat, nausea, headache, loss of taste and smell, septal perforation, hypercorticism, fungal overgrowth, impaired wound healing, glaucoma, reduced growth velocity in children.
Formerly known under the brand names Nasalide, Nasarel.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling