FLUMIST QUADRIVALENT Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Quadrivalent, live attenuated influenza vaccine (virus types A and B); formulation changes annually; susp in intranasal sprayer; contains gelatin, arginine, gentamicin (trace); preservative-free.
Indications for FLUMIST QUADRIVALENT:
Adults and Children:
<2yrs or ≥50yrs: not recommended. Give before start of flu season; each dose is 0.2mL intranasally (as 0.1mL/nostril). 2–8yrs: 1 or 2 doses/season (depends on vaccination history as per annual ACIP recommendation); if 2 doses, give at least 1 month apart. 9–49yrs: 1 dose/season.
Allergy to egg protein, gentamicin, gelatin, or arginine. Life-threatening reaction to previous flu vaccine. Concomitant aspirin in patients 2–17yrs of age (Reye's syndrome).
Use current formulation only. Asthmatics or children <5yrs old with recurrent wheezing: may be at increased risk of wheezing following administration. Guillain-Barre syndrome within 6 weeks of previous flu vaccine. Underlying medical conditions predisposing to flu complications. Immunocompromised. Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant vaccines: see full labeling. Do not administer until 48hrs after antiviral therapy cessation. Do not give antivirals within 2 weeks of administration.
Rhinorrhea/nasal congestion, fever, sore throat, decreased appetite, irritability; wheezing.
Single-dose pre-filled nasal spray (0.2mL)—10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Heavy Cigarette Smoking in Adolescence May Increase Risk for Psychosis
- CYP2C19 Genotyping Aids Risk Stratification, Individualized Therapy for Depression
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders