FLAGYL ER Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Metronidazole 750mg; ext rel tabs.
Indications for FLAGYL ER:
Take 1 hr before or 2 hrs after meals. 750mg once daily for 7 days.
Pregnancy (1st trimester for trichomoniasis).
CNS disease. Discontinue if neurological symptoms occur. Severe hepatic disease: reduce dose. History of blood dyscrasias. Monitor leukocytes before and after therapy. Elderly: monitor serum levels. Pregnancy (Cat.B, 2nd and 3rd trimesters). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid alcohol during and for 3 days after use. Do not give within 2 weeks of disulfiram (possible psychotic reactions). May potentiate oral anticoagulants, phenytoin, lithium. Antagonized by phenobarbital, phenytoin, other hepatic enzyme inducers. May impair phenytoin clearance. Potentiated by cimetidine, other hepatic enzyme inhibitors. Interferes with serum chemistry tests.
GI upset, headache, metallic taste, dysuria, cystitis, incontinence, Candida overgrowth, seizures, peripheral neuropathy, ECT changes; neutropenia, pancreatitis (rare).
Tabs—50, 100; ER—30; Caps 375mg—50
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders