Generic Name and Formulations:
Vancomycin HCl 3.75g, 7.5g, 15g; pwd for oral soln after reconstitution; grape-flavored.
RECENT UPDATESMonograph added.
Indications for FIRVANQ:
C. difficile-associated diarrhea. Enterocolitis due to S. aureus.
Limitations Of use:
Oral vancomycin HCl not effective for treatment of other types of infections.
C. difficile-associated diarrhea: 125mg 4 times a day for 10 days. Enterocolitis: 500mg–2g per day in 3–4 divided doses for 7–10 days.
40mg/kg per day in 3–4 divided doses for 7–10 days; max 2g/day.
Renal insufficiency and/or colitis. Inflammatory bowel disorders. Underlying hearing loss. Monitor hearing, blood, renal function. Consider monitoring vancomycin serum concentrations. Not for endophthalmitis prophylaxis. Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Monitor with aminoglycosides, other neurotoxic, nephrotoxic, or ototoxic drugs.
Nausea, abdominal pain, hypokalemia; ototoxicity, nephrotoxicity, superinfection.
Kit—1 (w. diluent)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- #MeToo: Helping Victims Cope With Sexual Harassment
- Association Between Psychosis and Development of Dementia in Older Men
- Phonemic Verbal Advantage in Mild Cognitive Impairment May Predict Risk for Alzheimer Disease
- Psychosis Could Be a Potential Side Effect of Steroid Treatment in Kids
- Guidance Offered for Improving Mental Health in Workplace
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Nutritional Influences on Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Old Challenges and New Directions in Managing Tardive Dyskinesia
- Early Intervention Strategies for Bipolar Disorder: Clinical Dilemmas and Directions
- Similar Rates of Childhood Trauma in Schizophrenia and Substance Use Disorders
- Bully for Us: Confronting Medicine's Bullying Problem
- Personality Functioning Associated With Global Functioning in Bipolar Disorder I
- Higher Incidence of Mania in Adults With Intellectual Disabilities vs General Population
- Youth With Gender Nonconformity Vulnerable to Adversity
- Negative Affect That Lingers Tied to Health 10 Years Later