Generic Name and Formulations:
Deferiprone 500mg; scored tabs.
ApoPharma USA Inc.
Indications for FERRIPROX:
Treatment of transfusional iron overload due to thalassemia syndromes when current chelation therapy is inadequate.
Limitations Of use:
Not for use in treating other chronic anemias.
Individualize. Initially 25mg/kg three times daily (total dose 75mg/kg/day). Max: 33mg/kg three times daily (total dose 99mg/kg/day). Round dose to the nearest 250mg (half-tablet). Adjust dose to individual response and therapeutic goals. Consider temporary dose interruption if serum ferritin falls consistently <500mcg/L.
Risk of neutropenia or fatal agranulocytosis. Measure ANC before starting therapy and monitor weekly during. Interrupt therapy if infection or neutropenia develops (ANC <1.5×109/L). If neutropenia occurs, obtain CBCs, WBCs, ANC, and platelets daily until recovery (ANC ≥1.5×109/L). Monitor serum ALT monthly; consider interruption if persistent increase in transaminase levels. Monitor serum ferritin every 2–3 months. Monitor plasma zinc, supplement if deficient. Severe hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Iron chelating agent.
Avoid concomitant use with other drugs associated with neutropenia or agranulocytosis. Allow at least 4-hour interval with antacids or mineral supplements containing polyvalent cations (eg, iron, aluminum, zinc). Concomitant UGT 1A6 inhibitors: closely monitor and may need dose adjustments or interruptions.
Chromaturia, GI upset, abdominal pain, increased ALT, arthralgia, neutropenia; agranulocytosis.
This product is available from Dohmen Life Science Services. Dohmen Life Science Services is the sole distributor of Ferriprox in the U.S.
For more information, contact Ferriprox Total Care at (866) 758-7071.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents