Generic Name and Formulations:
Letrozole 2.5mg; tabs.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for FEMARA:
In postmenopausal women: Adjuvant treatment of hormone receptor positive early breast cancer; Extended adjuvant treatment of early breast cancer after 5 years of adjuvant tamoxifen therapy; First-line treatment of hormone receptor positive or unknown, locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer; Treatment of advanced breast cancer with disease progression following antiestrogen therapy.
2.5mg once daily. Adjuvant or extended adjuvant therapy: discontinue at tumor relapse; see full labeling. Advanced breast cancer: continue until tumor progression is evident. Severe hepatic impairment or cirrhosis: 2.5mg every other day.
Monitor bone mineral density, serum cholesterol. Severe renal or hepatic impairment. Embryo-fetal toxicity; exclude pregnancy prior to initiation. Use effective contraception during and for ≥3wks after last dose. Nursing mothers: not recommended (during and for ≥3wks after last dose).
Pain (bone, musculoskeletal, and others), hot flashes, arthralgia, flushing, asthenia, edema, headache, dizziness, hypercholesterolemia, sweating increased, GI upset, fatigue, somnolence, dyspnea, cough, insomnia, hypertension, anorexia, weight changes; thromboembolic or cardio- or cerebrovascular events (rare).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders