Generic Name and Formulations:
Felodipine 2.5mg, 5mg, 10mg; ext rel tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Felodipine:
Take without food or with a light meal. Do not crush or chew. Initially 5mg once daily. Range 2.5–10mg once daily. Adjust at 2 week intervals; max 10mg daily. Elderly or hepatic dysfunction: initially 2.5mg once daily.
Heart failure. Hepatic impairment. Maintain good dental hygiene. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May increase metoprolol, tacrolimus levels. Potentiated by cimetidine. Increased bioavailability with grapefruit juice. Levels decreased with long-term anticonvulsants (eg, carbamazepine, phenytoin, phenobarbital), consider alternate antihypertensive therapy.
Calcium channel blocker (CCB) (dihydropyridine).
Peripheral edema, headache, flushing, dizziness, respiratory symptoms, weakness, cough, GI upset, gynecomastia; hypotension, tachycardia, syncope, MI, angina, gingival hyperplasia (rare).
Formerly known under the brand name Plendil.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders