FELBATOL SUSPENSION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Mylan Specialty L.P.
Indications for FELBATOL SUSPENSION:
Not a first-line treatment. Partial seizures with or without generalization in adults. Adjunct in Lennox-Gastaut syndrome in children.
See full labeling. ≥14yrs: initial monotherapy: 1.2g/day in 3–4 divided doses, increase by 600mg every 2 weeks to 2.4g/day and up to 3.6g/day if needed. Conversion to monotherapy/adjunctive therapy: 1.2g/day in 3–4 divided doses, increase to 2.4g/day at week 2, and to 3.6g/day at week 3. Dosages of concomitant anticonvulsant drugs should be reduced upon the initiation of felbamate therapy and weekly thereafter (see full labeling). Renal dysfunction: reduce initial and maintenance dose by ½.
Lennox-Gastaut: ≥2yrs: 15mg/kg per day in 3–4 divided doses, increase dose by 15mg/kg per day at 1 week intervals to 45mg/kg per day. Dose of concomitant anticonvulsant drug should be reduced upon the initiation of felbamate therapy (see full labeling).
History of hepatic dysfunction or blood dyscrasias.
Increased risk of aplastic anemia or hepatic failure. Do full baseline hematologic evaluations and hepatic function tests before, during, and after therapy; discontinue if hepatic tests are abnormal or bone marrow depression occurs; consult hematologist if hematological abnormalities occur. Suicidal tendencies (monitor). Adjust dose of and monitor other anticonvulsants. Avoid abrupt cessation. Obtain written informed consent. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Increases serum levels of phenytoin, valproate, carbamazepine metabolite. Decreases carbamazepine levels. Serum levels decreased by phenytoin, carbamazepine.
Anorexia, vomiting, insomnia, nausea, headache; rare: primary hepatotoxicity, aplastic anemia.
Tabs—100; Susp—4oz, 8oz, 32oz
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling