Generic Name and Formulations:
Panobinostat 10mg, 15mg, 20mg; caps.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for FARYDAK:
Multiple myeloma, in patients who have received at least two prior therapies (including bortezomib and an immunomodulatory agent), in combination with bortezomib and dexamethasone.
Swallow whole with water. Take at same time on scheduled days. Initially 20mg once every other day for 3 doses/wk in Weeks 1 and 2 of each 21-day cycle for up to 8 cycles. Consider 8 more cycles for patients with clinical benefit if no severe or significant toxicity; max 16 cycles (48 wks). Give with bortezomib inj and oral dexamethasone per scheduled day. Hepatic impairment: mild: initially 15mg; moderate: initially 10mg; severe: avoid. Concomitant strong CYP3A inhibitors: initially 10mg. Dose adjustments and modifications for toxicity: see full labeling.
Fatal and serious toxicities: severe diarrhea and cardiac toxicities.
Risk of severe diarrhea and cardiac toxicities. Monitor hydration and electrolytes at baseline, weekly during therapy, or more as indicated. Initiate antidiarrheals at onset of diarrhea; interrupt dose if 4–6 stools/day. Do not initiate if history of recent MI or unstable angina, QTcF >450msec, significant baseline ST-segment or T-wave abnormalities, active infections. Perform ECG prior to initiation and repeat during treatment as indicated. Correct electrolyte abnormalities prior to initiation and monitor; interrupt if QTcF ≥480msec; discontinue if QT prolongation does not resolve. Serious hemorrhage. Obtain CBC prior to initiation; monitor weekly during therapy or more as indicated. Monitor for infections; treat and consider interruption or discontinuation if diagnosed. Monitor liver function prior to and during treatment; consider dose adjustments if abnormal tests observed. ESRD or dialysis: not studied. Elderly: monitor for toxicity more frequently (esp. GI, myelosuppression, cardiac). Embryo-fetal toxicity. Pregnancy: avoid. Obtain pregnancy test prior to and during treatment. Use effective contraception during and for ≥3 months after last dose; males: use condoms during and for ≥6 months after last dose. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Histone deacetylase inhibitor.
Potentiated by strong CYP3A inhibitors (eg, boceprevir, clarithromycin, conivaptan, indinavir, itraconazole, ketoconazole, lopinavir/ritonavir, others); see Adults. Avoid star fruit, pomegranate or grapefruit juice. Avoid concomitant strong CYP3A inducers. Avoid concomitant sensitive CYP2D6 substrates (eg, atomoxetine, desipramine, dextromethorphan, metoprolol, nebivolol, perphenazine, tolterodine, venlafaxine) or substrates with narrow therapeutic index (eg, thioridazine, pimozide); if unavoidable, monitor frequently. Concomitant antiarrhythmics or QT prolonging drugs: not recommended. Antiemetics that prolong QT interval (eg, dolasetron, ondansetron, tropisetron): monitor ECG frequently.
Diarrhea, fatigue, nausea, peripheral edema, decreased appetite, pyrexia, vomiting, electrolyte imbalance, increased creatinine, thrombocytopenia, lymphopenia, leukopenia, neutropenia, anemia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Tolerability of Novel Long-Acting Injectable Aripiprazole Tested for Bipolar Disorder
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- Link Between Vitamin D Levels and Intracranial Volume in Schizophrenia
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad