Famotidine Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Famotidine 10mg/mL; soln for IV inj or infusion after dilution; multidose vials contain benzyl alcohol.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Famotidine Injection :
Hospitalized patients with pathological hypersecretory conditions, intractable ulcers, or as a short-term alternative to oral dosage forms.
Give by IV inj over 2 mins or infuse over 15–30 mins. 20mg every 12hrs.
See full labeling. Give by IV inj over 2 mins or infuse over 15 mins. <1yr: not recommended. 1–16yrs: initially 0.25mg/kg every 12hrs; max 40mg/day.
Moderate to severe renal insufficiency (CrCl <50mL/min): reduce to half the dose or prolong dosing interval to 36–48hrs. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May give antacids concomitantly.
Headache, dizziness, constipation, diarrhea, inj site reactions; rare: CNS reactions, prolonged QT interval in impaired renal function.
Formerly known under the brand name Pepcid Injection.
Tabs—30, 100; Susp—50mL; Inj—contact supplier
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders