Generic Name and Formulations:
Melphalan HCl 50mg/vial; lyophilized pwd; for IV infusion after reconstitution.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for EVOMELA:
High-dose conditioning treatment prior to hematopoietic progenitor (stem) cell transplantation in patients with multiple myeloma. Palliative treatment of multiple myeloma when oral therapy is not appropriate.
Give prophylactic antiemetics. Conditioning treatment: Give by IV infusion over 30 minutes. 100mg/m2 daily for 2 consecutive days (Days -3 and -2) prior to transplantation (Day 0). If patient weighs >130% of their ideal body weight, use adjusted ideal body weight. Palliative treatment: Give by IV infusion over 15–20 minutes. 16mg/m2 as a single infusion at 2-week intervals for 4 doses, then at 4-week intervals after recovery from toxicity. Renal impairment (BUN ≥30mg/dL): consider up to 50% dose reduction for palliative treatment.
Prior irradiation or chemotherapy. Severe bone marrow suppression. Monitor CBCs during treatment; provide supportive care for infections, anemia, thrombocytopenia until adequate recovery. GI toxicity; provide supportive care. Monitor LFTs. Renal impairment. Embryo-fetal toxicity; use effective contraception during and after treatment. Pregnancy, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with cyclosporine, BCNU, nalidixic acid.
Decreased neutrophil, WBC, lymphocyte, and platelet counts, diarrhea, nausea, fatigue, hypokalemia, anemia, vomiting; hypersensitivity reactions, hepatic disorders, secondary malignancies, infertility.
Single-dose vial (20mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition