Etoposide Capsules Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Etoposide 50mg; contain parabens.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Etoposide Capsules:
Small cell lung cancer.
Round dose to nearest 50mg increment. Range: 70mg/m2 per day for 4 days to 100mg/m2 per day for 5 days. Repeat course every 3 to 4 weeks after recovery (esp myelosuppression). Renal impairment (CrCl ≤50mL/min): reduce dose (see literature). Consider dose reduction with existing myelosuppression due to previous radiation or chemotherapy.
Monitor blood (esp CBC/differential, platelets, hemoglobin) before each cycle and during therapy; renal function. Withhold dose if platelet count <50,000/mm3 or ANC <500/mm3. Hypoalbuminemia. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D); nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by cyclosporine. Additive toxicity with radiation, other cytotoxic therapies.
GI upset, mucositis, myelosuppression (esp. neutropenia, thrombocytopenia; may be fatal), alopecia, fever, infections, peripheral neurotoxicity; hypersensitivity reactions, acute leukemia (rare); others.
Formerly known under the brand name VePesid.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Significant Rates of Major Depressive Disorder Found in Dementia
- Link Between Vitamin D Levels and Intracranial Volume in Schizophrenia
- TBI Linked to Increased Suicide Risk
- Behavioral Executive Dysfunction Associated With Chronic Kidney Disease
- Factors That Predict Treatment Outcomes, Remission in Pediatric OCD