Generic Name and Formulations:
Erythromycin (as ethylsuccinate) 200mg/5mL (fruit flavor) 400mg/5mL, (banana flavor); susp.
Arbor Pharmaceuticals, LLC
Indications for ERYPED:
Susceptible infections including upper and lower respiratory, skin and soft tissue, genitourinary, Legionnaires' disease, pertussis, listeriosis.
1.6g/day in 2, 3, or 4 evenly divided doses; max 4g/day. Legionnaires: 1.6–4g/day in divided doses.
Mild-to-moderate infections: 30–50mg/kg/day in 2, 3, or 4 evenly divided doses; may double dose in severe infections.
Concomitant cisapride, pimozide, ergotamine, dihydroergotamine.
Hepatic dysfunction. Proarrhythmic conditions (eg, uncorrected hypokalemia or hypomagnesemia, clinically significant bradycardia); QT prolongation may occur, avoid. Myasthenia gravis. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. May potentiate or be potentiated by drugs metabolized by CYP3A (eg, carbamazepine, cyclosporine, tacrolimus, alfentanil, disopyramide, bromocriptine, rifabutin, quinidine, methylprednisolone, cilostazol, vinblastine). May potentiate or be potentiated by hexobarbital, phenytoin, valproate. May potentiate triazolam, midazolam, digoxin, theophylline, statins (rhabdomyolysis), sildenafil (reduce dose of sildenafil), colchicine (reduce starting dose of colchicine, max dose should be lowered; monitor). Hypotension, bradyarrhythmias, lactic acidosis with verapamil. Hypotension with calcium channel blockers metabolized by CYP3A4 (eg, verapamil, amlodipine, diltiazem). Increased anticoagulant effects with oral anticoagulants. QT prolongation with concomitant Class 1A (quinidine, procainamide) or Class III (dofetilide, amiodarone, sotalol) antiarrhythmics. May interfere with fluorometric detection of urinary catecholamines.
GI upset, abdominal pain, anorexia, hepatic dysfunction; QT prolongation.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders