Generic Name and Formulations:
Pentosan polysulfate sodium 100mg; caps.
Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for ELMIRON:
Bladder pain/discomfort due to interstitial cystitis.
Take with water 1 hr before or 2 hrs after meals. ≥16yrs: 100mg 3 times daily. Reevaluate at 3 and 6 months.
<16yrs: not recommended.
Bleeding or risk of bleeding (eg, surgery, aneurysm, GI ulcer, polyps). History of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. Hepatic insufficiency. Splenic disorders. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Caution with drugs that increase bleeding risk (eg, anticoagulants, tPA, aspirin, NSAIDs).
Alopecia, GI upset, headache, rash, abdominal pain, hepatic dysfunction, dizziness, increased prothrombin time, hemorrhage.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Characteristics of Unipolar Mania, Distinct from Bipolar Disorder, Described
- Aspirin, N-Acetylcysteine Effective Adjunctive Treatments in Bipolar Depression
- Subthreshold Pediatric Bipolar Disorder Is a Significant Psychiatric Burden
- Interview-Only Version of Yale-Brown Obsessive-Compulsive Scale Effective for OCD Monitoring in Youth
- Potential Biomarker Differentiates Between Bipolar Disorder With, Without Psychosis
- Part 1: Adolescent Tech Use and Mental Health: Expert Roundtable
- Challenging Stigma: Should Psychiatrists Disclose Their Own Mental Illness?
- Social Anxiety in Schizophrenia: An Overlooked Problem
- Inflammation: Is It the Link Between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Depression?
- Childhood Physical Violence Associated With Decreased Total Cholesterol
- How the Government Shutdown Affects FDA Activities
- The Robot Will See You Now: The Increasing Role of Robotics in Psychiatric Care
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Improves Psychiatric Disorders During Addiction Therapy
- Infections, Antibiotics Associated With Subsequent Increased Risk for Mental Disorders in Youth