Generic Name and Formulations:
Ulipristal acetate 30mg; tab.
Indications for ELLA:
Prevention of pregnancy following unprotected intercourse or known or suspected contraceptive failure. Not for use as regular contraceptive.
Take 1 tab as soon as possible within 120hrs (5 days) after unprotected intercourse or contraceptive failure. May repeat dose if vomiting occurs within 3hrs.
Premenarchal: not applicable.
Not for termination of an existing pregnancy. Exclude pregnancy before prescribing. Rule out ectopic pregnancy if lower abdominal pain occurs. Rule out pregnancy if subsequent menses delayed by >1 week. Does not protect against HIV or other STDs. Repeat use within same menstrual cycle: not recommended. Nursing mothers.
Avoid concomitant CYP3A4 inducers (eg, barbiturates, bosentan, carbamazepine, felbamate, griseofulvin, oxcarbazepine, phenytoin, rifampin, topiramate, St. John's wort). Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole). May antagonize regular hormonal contraceptives; use barrier contraception for remainder of menstrual cycle and resume oral contraceptives ≥5 days after dose.
Headache, abdominal pain, nausea, dysmenorrhea, fatigue, dizziness; menstrual cycle changes.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Characteristics of Unipolar Mania, Distinct from Bipolar Disorder, Described
- Aspirin, N-Acetylcysteine Effective Adjunctive Treatments in Bipolar Depression
- Subthreshold Pediatric Bipolar Disorder Is a Significant Psychiatric Burden
- Interview-Only Version of Yale-Brown Obsessive-Compulsive Scale Effective for OCD Monitoring in Youth
- Potential Biomarker Differentiates Between Bipolar Disorder With, Without Psychosis
- Part 1: Adolescent Tech Use and Mental Health: Expert Roundtable
- Challenging Stigma: Should Psychiatrists Disclose Their Own Mental Illness?
- Social Anxiety in Schizophrenia: An Overlooked Problem
- Inflammation: Is It the Link Between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Depression?
- Childhood Physical Violence Associated With Decreased Total Cholesterol
- How the Government Shutdown Affects FDA Activities
- The Robot Will See You Now: The Increasing Role of Robotics in Psychiatric Care
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Improves Psychiatric Disorders During Addiction Therapy
- Infections, Antibiotics Associated With Subsequent Increased Risk for Mental Disorders in Youth