Generic Name and Formulations:
Calcium acetate 667mg (elemental calcium 169mg); tabs.
Indications for ELIPHOS:
Hyperphosphatemia in end stage renal failure.
Initially 2 tabs with each meal; may adjust dose to keep serum phosphate <6mg/dL. Usual dose: 3–4 tabs per meal.
Monitor serum calcium twice weekly during early dose adjustments, and serum phosphorus periodically. Ensure serum (Ca x P) to remain <66. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Avoid digitalis, calcium supplements, antacids. May antagonize tetracyclines.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents