Generic Name and Formulations:
Leuprolide acetate 7.5mg, 22.5mg, 30mg, 45mg; per inj; ext-rel susp for SC inj.
Indications for ELIGARD:
Palliative treatment of advanced prostate cancer.
Allow product to reach room temperature before using; inject within 30 minutes of mixing. Use correct formulation. Rotate inj sites. 7.5mg SC once per month; or 22.5mg SC once every 3 months; or 30mg SC once every 4 months; or 45mg SC once every 6 months.
May worsen metastatic vertebral lesions and/or urinary tract obstruction; monitor closely during first few weeks. Increased risk of diabetes, MI, sudden cardiac death, stroke; monitor blood glucose, HbA1c, and for signs/symptoms of CVD during therapy. Risk of QT prolongation in patients with congenital long QT syndrome, CHF, or frequent electrolyte abnormalities. Correct and monitor electrolyte abnormalities; consider monitoring ECGs. Monitor serum testosterone, PSA periodically. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with concomitant drugs known to prolong the QT interval. May interfere with pituitary-gonadal diagnostic tests.
Malaise, fatigue, hot flashes/sweats, testicular atrophy, local reactions (eg, burning/stinging, pain, erythema, bruising, pruritus); transient worsening of signs/symptoms (eg, bone pain, neuropathy, hematuria, bladder outlet obstruction), spinal cord compression, hyperglycemia, decreased bone density; rare: pituitary apoplexy.
Single-use kit—1 (with sterile or sterile safety needle)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed