Generic Name and Formulations:
Leuprolide acetate 7.5mg, 22.5mg, 30mg, 45mg; per inj; ext-rel susp for SC inj.
Indications for ELIGARD:
Palliative treatment of advanced prostate cancer.
Allow product to reach room temperature before using; inject within 30 minutes of mixing. Use correct formulation. Rotate inj sites. 7.5mg SC once per month; or 22.5mg SC once every 3 months; or 30mg SC once every 4 months; or 45mg SC once every 6 months.
May worsen metastatic vertebral lesions and/or urinary tract obstruction; monitor closely during first few weeks. Increased risk of diabetes, MI, sudden cardiac death, stroke; monitor blood glucose, HbA1c, and for signs/symptoms of CVD during therapy. Risk of QT prolongation in patients with congenital long QT syndrome, CHF, or frequent electrolyte abnormalities. Correct and monitor electrolyte abnormalities; consider monitoring ECGs. Monitor serum testosterone, PSA periodically. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with concomitant drugs known to prolong the QT interval. May interfere with pituitary-gonadal diagnostic tests.
Malaise, fatigue, hot flashes/sweats, testicular atrophy, local reactions (eg, burning/stinging, pain, erythema, bruising, pruritus); transient worsening of signs/symptoms (eg, bone pain, neuropathy, hematuria, bladder outlet obstruction), spinal cord compression, hyperglycemia, decreased bone density; rare: pituitary apoplexy.
Single-use kit—1 (with sterile or sterile safety needle)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents