Generic Name and Formulations:
Pimecrolimus 1%; crm.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for ELIDEL:
Second-line therapy: for short-term and non-continuous chronic treatment of mild-to-moderate atopic dermatitis in non-immunocompromised patients when other topical therapies are inadvisable or ineffective.
Adults and Children:
<2yrs: not recommended. ≥2yrs: apply to affected area(s) twice daily. Do not occlude.
Clear infections at treatment site before starting. Netherton's syndrome, generalized erythroderma, malignant or pre-malignant skin conditions: not recommended. Varicella zoster. Eczema herpeticum. Herpes simplex. Consider discontinuing if lymphadenopathy of unknown etiology or acute infectious mononucleosis occurs. Consider discontinuing until warts clear if skin papillomas worsen or are unresponsive. Avoid sun, UV light. Reevaluate if no improvement after 6 weeks. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with CYP3A inhibitors in widespread and/or erythrodermic disease.
Local reactions (eg, burning), nasopharyngitis, pyrexia, cough, headache, others; rare: malignancy (eg, skin, lymphoma).
Crm—30g, 60g, 100g
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed