Generic Name and Formulations:
Prasugrel 5mg, 10mg; tabs.
Daiichi Sankyo and Lilly
Indications for EFFIENT:
To reduce risk of thrombotic cardiovascular events (including stent thrombosis) in patients with acute coronary syndrome who are to be managed with percutaneous coronary intervention (patients with unstable angina (UA) or non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction (NSTEMI); patients with ST-elevation MI (STEMI) when managed with either primary or delayed PCI).
Loading dose: 60mg once. Maintenance: 10mg once daily. <60kg: consider 5mg once daily. Take with aspirin (75mg–325mg daily).
Active pathological bleeding (eg, peptic ulcer, intracranial hemorrhage). Prior TIA or stroke. Do not start if patient likely to undergo urgent CABG.
Patients ≥75yrs: usually not recommended. Weight <60kg, or CABG or other surgery or trauma, recent or recurrent GI bleeding, severe hepatic dysfunction, moderate-to-severe renal impairment: increased risk of bleeding. Discontinue 7 days before surgery, and if TIA or stroke occurs. Premature discontinuation increases risk for cardiac events (eg, stent thrombosis, MI, death). Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
P2Y12 platelet inhibitor (thienopyridine).
Increased bleeding risk with heparin, warfarin, fibrinolytics, chronic NSAID use. Antagonized by opioid agonists (eg, morphine, others); consider using IV anti-platelet agent instead.
Bleeding (may be fatal), hyper- or hypotension, hyperlipidemia, headache, back pain, GI upset, dizziness, cough, chest pain, atrial fibrillation, leukopenia; rare: thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura, thrombocytopenia, anemia, abnormal hepatic function, hypersensitivity reactions, angioedema.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation