Generic Name and Formulations:
Potassium (as bicarbonate and citrate) 10mEq, 20mEq, 25mEq; effervescent tabs for soln; unflavored, cherry vanilla, orange cream, lemon citrus, cherry berry flavors.
Indications for EFFER-K:
Hypokalemia with or without metabolic alkalosis. Digitalis intoxication. Hypokalemic familial periodic paralysis. Prevention of potassium depletion when dietary intake is inadequate.
Take with food or immediately after a meal; sip slowly over 5–10 mins. 1 tab 1–4 times daily, based on patient requirement. Dissolve each 10mEq tab in 2–3oz of cold water or juice (if unflavored); dissolve each 20mEq tab in 3–4oz of cold water or juice (if unflavored); dissolve each 25mEq tab in 4oz of cold water or 12–16oz of cold juice (if unflavored).
Hyperkalemia. Chronic renal disease. Metabolic acidosis. Uncontrolled diabetes mellitus. Esophageal compression. Delayed gastric emptying. Intestinal obstruction/stricture. Peptic ulcer. Concomitant potassium-sparing diuretics (eg, spironolactone, triamterene).
Discontinue if GI bleed, ulceration, or other disturbances occur. Acidosis. Renal or cardiac disease. Monitor serum potassium and magnesium levels, renal function, clinical status, acid-base balance, and ECG. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Hyperkalemia with potassium-sparing diuretics, ACE inhibitors, NSAIDs, beta-adrenergic blockers, heparin, low-salt foods, potassium-containing drugs, digitalis glycosides, others.
Hyperkalemia, nausea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort, diarrhea.
Tabs 10mEq, 20mEq—30; 25mEq—30, 100 (orange-flavored)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Short Forms of Parent General Behavior Inventory Reliable at Identifying Youth Mood Symptoms
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents
- Strong Social Networks May Mitigate the Effects of Childhood Adversity
- Unexpected Effect of Substance Use Disorders on Recovery From Bipolar Depression
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Opioid Use Disorder Prevalence at Delivery on the Rise in the US, According to CDC
- Integrating Treatments for Opioid Use Disorder and Infectious Diseases