Generic Name and Formulations:
Ethacrynic acid 25mg; scored tabs.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for EDECRIN:
Treatment of edema when greater diuretic potential is required.
Initially 50–100mg daily; adjust in 25–50mg increments. Usual maintenance: 50–200mg daily or intermittently.
See Contraindications. Initially 25mg; adjust gradually in 25mg increments (see literature).
Anuria. Infants. If severe, watery diarrhea occurs, discontinue use and do not restart.
Renal impairment. Hepatic cirrhosis. Monitor weight, renal function, electrolytes, CO2, BUN. Potassium supplementation may be needed. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Digitalis, lithium toxicity. May alter excretion of lithium. Potentiates warfarin. Antagonized by NSAIDs. Orthostatic hypotension with antihypertensives. Ototoxicity with aminoglycosides, other ototoxic agents. May alter glucose tolerance tests.
GI upset, anorexia, malaise, abdominal pain, dysphagia, ototoxicity, vertigo, headache, rash, electrolyte imbalance, hyperuricemia, gout, hyperglycemia; rare: agranulocytosis, severe neutropenia, thrombocytopenia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad