Investigators sought to determine whether both restrictive and purging types of anorexia nervosa effect bone metabolism.
Women with anorexia nervosa and oligo-amenorrheic athletes have been reported to have low bone mineral density and an increased fracture risk.
Treatment outcomes for adolescents with eating disorders seem to correlate with family reports of perceived helpfulness of family-based treatment.
Parent encouragement to lose weight or diet can lead to long-term harmful eating disorders and emotional health problems.
Adolescents who develop anorexia nervosa before the age of 14 have a higher risk of unfavorable outcomes.
Interventions for diet-treated chronic illnesses may increase the risk for eating disorders.
As there are no currently approved medical therapies for the treatment of anorexia, further study is necessary to determine the long-term efficacy and safety of a ghrelin agonist.
Women at both ends of the weight spectrum have low serum allopregnanolone which can be linked to severe depression and anxiety.
Females who suffer from anorexia nervosahave lower gut microbial diversity.
Depersonalizing may help a lot of struggling parents understand the severity of an eating disorder.
The correlation between weight suppression and duration of bulimia nervosa is mediated by leptin.
In the past, clinicians believed anorexia arose from control battles with parents and that the individual had to develop insight and motivation to recover.
In male veterans, eating disorder symptoms are associated with military-related trauma.
For adolescents with anorexia nervosa, telehealth-enabled FBT is effective.
Binge-eating disorder relapse risk with lisdexamfetamine was markedly lower than with placebo.
In patients with eating disorders, rTMS of the DMPFC seems to be beneficial for treating PTSD.
Long-term negative consequences can be associated with anorexia nervosa, and many times patients do not experience remission.
Binge eating disorder is the most common eating disorder in adults and has the potential for serious health implications if left untreated.
Researchers in Boston found that nearly two-thirds of women with eating disorders did recover.
Providing care for the mental and physical health of people with diabetes will simultaneously improve both outcomes.
Routine screening for eating disorders may be necessary in patients with polycystic ovary syndrome.
A study suggested that weight suppression explains a significant amount of variance in bulimic syndrome impairment.
Nearly 1 in 10 patients seeking facial plastic surgery suffers from body dysmorphic disorder,
Eating disorders are not confined to adolescence and early adulthood.
Continued symptom improvement and meaningful recovery are possible in anorexia nervosa beyond the first decade of follow-up.
There were higher levels of activity and work impairment, as well as health care utilization for individuals with binge-eating disorder.
Exercise time per day is associated with a higher Eating Disorder Examination (EDE) global score in adults with anorexia.
Investigators identified abnormal modularity patterns in the brain in individuals with anorexia and body dysmorphic disorder.
Veterans remain understudied in the field of eating disorders, possibly due to the misperception that men are not affected by them.
FDA approval was based on a single clinical trial involving 111 patients, which was funded by the device manufacturer.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Sertraline Effective for Treating Depression in Vascular Cognitive Impairment
- Hospitalization Rates in Schizophrenia—Lurasidone vs Quetiapine
- Ketamine-Induced Dissociative Symptoms Predict Antidepressant Response
- First Nonopioid Drug Approved for Managing Opioid Withdrawal Symptoms
- Psychopathology of Adults Affected by Pre- and Perinatal Factors, Family Functioning
- Video Games and Exercise as Alternative Therapies for ADHD
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- Comorbid Autism Spectrum Disorder and OCD: Challenges in Diagnosis and Treatment
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- HIV Viral Suppression Rates in Psychiatric Inpatients With Comorbid Substance Use Disorders
- Greater Wealth Associated With Lower Risk for Dementia in English Study
- Social Hygiene: Screening for Social Media Addiction in Adolescent Patients
- Effects of Depressive Symptoms on Cognition, Markers of Brain Aging
- Substance Abuse and Primary Psychosis: A Closer Look