Generic Name and Formulations:
Triamterene 50mg, 100mg; caps.
WellSpring Pharmaceuticals, Corp.
Indications for DYRENIUM:
Take after meals. Initially 100mg twice daily; max 300mg daily.
Concomitant K+ supplements, K+-sparing diuretics, salt substitutes. Hyperkalemia. Anuria. Renal impairment. Severe hepatic disease.
Diabetes. Severely ill. Acidosis predisposition. Electrolyte imbalance. History of renal stones. Gout. Hepatic impairment. Monitor blood, electrolytes, hepatic and renal function frequently. Discontinue if serum potassium >5.5mEq/L or renal values progress. ECG changes or arrhythmias require prompt treatment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Diuretic (K+ sparing).
Avoid K+-sparing diuretics, K+ supplements, and K+ containing salt substitutes. Lithium toxicity. Hyperkalemia more likely with ACE inhibitors. Hyponatremia with sulfonylureas. Acute renal failure with NSAIDs. Adjust antidiabetic medications. Potentiates antihypertensives, nondepolarizing muscle relaxants, anesthetics.
Rarely: anaphylaxis, rash, photosensitivity, hyper- or hypokalemia, azotemia, renal stones, acute interstitial nephritis, jaundice, GI upset, electrolyte disturbances, blood dyscrasias, weakness, fatigue, dizziness, dry mouth.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation