Generic Name and Formulations:
Triamterene 50mg, 100mg; caps.
WellSpring Pharmaceuticals, Corp.
Indications for DYRENIUM:
Take after meals. Initially 100mg twice daily; max 300mg daily.
Concomitant K+ supplements, K+-sparing diuretics, salt substitutes. Hyperkalemia. Anuria. Renal impairment. Severe hepatic disease.
Diabetes. Severely ill. Acidosis predisposition. Electrolyte imbalance. History of renal stones. Gout. Hepatic impairment. Monitor blood, electrolytes, hepatic and renal function frequently. Discontinue if serum potassium >5.5mEq/L or renal values progress. ECG changes or arrhythmias require prompt treatment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid K+-sparing diuretics, K+ supplements, and K+ containing salt substitutes. Lithium toxicity. Hyperkalemia more likely with ACE inhibitors. Hyponatremia with sulfonylureas. Acute renal failure with NSAIDs. Adjust antidiabetic medications. Potentiates antihypertensives, nondepolarizing muscle relaxants, anesthetics.
Diuretic (K+ sparing).
Rarely: anaphylaxis, rash, photosensitivity, hyper- or hypokalemia, azotemia, renal stones, acute interstitial nephritis, jaundice, GI upset, electrolyte disturbances, blood dyscrasias, weakness, fatigue, dizziness, dry mouth.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Suicide Risk After Self-Harm Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Safety, Efficacy of Deep Brain Stimulation for Alzheimer Disease Examined
- Many Teens Who Use Tobacco Don't Self-Identify as Users