Generic Name and Formulations:
Metoprolol succinate ext-rel, hydrochlorothiazide; 25/12.5mg, 50/12.5mg, 100/12.5mg; tabs.
Concordia Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Indications for DUTOPROL:
Individualize. Initially 25/12.5mg once daily; may titrate at 2-week intervals to max 200mg/25mg once daily. May substitute for individual titrated components. Severe renal impairment (CrCl ≤30mL/min): not established.
Cardiogenic shock. Decompensated heart failure. Sinus bradycardia. Sick sinus syndrome. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block unless paced. Anuria. Sulfonamide allergy.
Ischemic heart disease. Worsening cardiac failure (reduce or interrupt dose if necessary). Bronchospastic disease. Monitor HR and rhythm; reduce dose or discontinue if severe bradycardia occurs. Pheochromocytoma. Major surgery. Renal or hepatic impairment. Volume depletion. Diabetes and hypoglycemia. Thyrotoxicosis (hyperthyroidism). Peripheral vascular disease. Acute myopia. Secondary angle-closure glaucoma. SLE. Gout. Post-sympathectomy. Avoid abrupt cessation (reduce dose over 1–2 weeks and monitor). Monitor electrolytes. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Additive effects with catecholamine-depleting drugs (eg, reserpine, MAOIs). Potentiated by CYP2D6 inhibitors (eg, quinidine, fluoxetine, paroxetine, propafenone). Risk of bradycardia with digitalis, clonidine, diltiazem, verapamil. Potentiated by alcohol, barbituates, narcotics, other antihypertensives. Hypokalemia with corticosteroids, ACTH. May increase lithium toxicity. Antagonized by NSAIDs (monitor). Adjust antidiabetic drugs. Decreased absorption with cholestyramine and colestipol resins. Antagonizes epinephrine. Possible increased response to muscle relaxants (eg, tubocurarine). Beta-blockers may mask signs of hypoglycemia. May interfere with parathyroid tests.
Cardioselective beta-blocker + diuretic.
Nasopharyngitis, fatigue, dizziness, back pain, nausea; bronchospasm, bradycardia, CHF, heart block, vision disorders.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling