Generic Name and Formulations:
Droperidol 2.5mg/mL; soln for IV or IM inj.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Droperidol:
To reduce incidence of nausea and vomiting associated with surgical and diagnostic procedures.
Max initial dose: 2.5mg IM or slow IV; may give additional 1.25mg doses to achieve desired effect.
<2yrs: not recommended. ≥2yrs: max initial dose: 0.1mg/kg.
QT prolongation (including congenital long QT syndrome).
Perform ECG prior to administration to determine if prolonged QT interval present; if prolonged, do not administer unless treatment outweighs risks; if treating, monitor for arrhythmias: perform ECG prior to treatment and 2–3hrs after completion. Risk factors for QT prolongation: CHF, bradycardia, cardiac hypertrophy, hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia, >65yrs, alcohol abuse. Pheochromocytoma. Hepatic or renal impairment. Elderly. Debilitated. Critically ill. Labor & delivery: not recommended. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Risk of QT prolongation with concomitant Class I and III antiarrhythmics, MAOIs, antimalarials, calcium channel blockers, benzodiazepines, volatile anesthetics, IV opiates, other drugs that prolong QT interval. Caution with drugs that induce hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia (eg, diuretics, laxatives). Additive effects with CNS depressants (eg, barbiturates, tranquilizers, opioids, general anesthetics). Possible hypertension with concomitant fentanyl citrate inj.
Hypotension, tachycardia, dysphoria, drowsiness, restlessness, hyperactivity, anxiety, QT prolonation, torsade de pointes, cardiac arrest, ventricular tachycardia, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, post-op hallucinatory episodes.
Formerly known under the brand name Inapsine.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents