Generic Name and Formulations:
Ergocalciferol 1.25mg (50000 IU Vit. D); caps; contains tartrazine.
Indications for DRISDOL:
Hypoparathyroidism. Refractory rickets (also known as Vit. D resistant rickets). Familial hypophosphatemia.
Individualize. Vit. D resistant rickets: 12000 to 500000 IU units daily. Hypoparathyroidism: 50000 to 200000 IU units daily concomitantly with calcium lactate 4g, six times per day.
Hypercalcemia. Malabsorption syndrome. Abnormal sensitivity to toxic effects of Vit. D. Hypervitaminosis D.
Vit. D resistant rickets: range between therapeutic and toxic doses is narrow; obtain blood calcium and phosphorus levels every 2 weeks or more frequently if necessary. Ensure adequate dietary calcium intake. X-rays of the bones should be taken every month until condition is corrected and stabilized. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Mineral oil interferes with Vit. D absorption. Concomitant thiazide diuretics in hypoparathyroid patients may cause hypercalcemia.
Vit. D analog.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders