Generic Name and Formulations:
Gadoterate meglumine 376.9mg/mL (0.5mmol/mL); soln for IV inj; preservative-free.
Indications for DOTAREM:
For use in MRI of the brain (intracranial), spine and associated tissues in adults and children (including term neonates) to detect and visualize areas with disruption of the blood brain barrier and/or abnormal vascularity.
Adults and Children:
Preterm neonates: not established. Give by IV bolus inj at a rate of ~2mL/sec (adults) or 1–2mL/sec (neonates/children), manually or by power injector. 0.2mL/kg (0.1mmol/kg), followed by a normal saline flush to ensure complete injection.
Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis.
Increased risk of nephrogenic systemic fibrosis in chronic kidney disease or acute kidney injury; avoid use. Screen for renal dysfunction. Do not exceed recommended dose and allow sufficient time for drug elimination before re-administration. Have emergency resuscitative equipment available. History of asthma or other allergic disorders. Monitor for signs/symptoms of hypersensitivity reactions during and after administration. Increased risk of gadolinium retention with multiple lifetime doses, in pregnant patients, children, and those with inflammatory conditions; minimize repetitive imaging studies. Avoid extravasation. Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Gadolinium-based contrast agent.
Nausea, headache, inj site pain, inj site coldness, rash; hypersensitivity reactions.
Single-dose vials (5mL, 10mL, 15mL, 20mL)—10; Pre-filled syringes (10mL, 15mL, 20mL)—5
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation