Generic Name and Formulations:
Doripenem (as monohydrate) 250mg/vial, 500mg/vial; pwd for IV infusion after constitution and dilution; preservative-free.
Indications for DORIBAX:
Susceptible complicated intra-abdominal and complicated urinary tract infections (including pyelonephritis).
Give by IV infusion over 1hr; may switch to oral antibiotics after 3 days. ≥18yrs (CrCl >50mL/min): Intra-abdominal: 500mg every 8hrs for 5–14 days. UTI, pyelonephritis: 500mg every 8hrs for 10–14 days. CrCl 30–50mL/min: 250mg every 8hrs; CrCl>10–<30mL/min: 250mg every 12hrs.
<18yrs: not established.
Not for treatment of ventilator-associated bacterial pneumonia. Carbapenems, cephalosporins, penicillins or other allergy. Discontinue if serious hypersensitivity reactions occur and treat. Increased risk of seizures with history of CNS disorders (eg, stroke), renal dysfunction, or doses >500mg every 8hrs. Risk of pneumonitis with inhalational use; avoid this route. Renal impairment; monitor. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Antagonizes valproic acid; if needed, monitor and consider supplemental anticonvulsant. Potentiated by probenecid: not recommended.
Headache, nausea, diarrhea (may be serious; evaluate if occurs), rash, phlebitis, anemia, elevated hepatic enzymes; C. difficile-associated diarrhea, hypersensitivity reactions, seizures.
Single-use vials—1, 10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation