DONNATAL ELIXIR Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Phenobarbital 16.2mg, hyoscyamine sulfate 0.1037mg, atropine sulfate 0.0194mg, scopolamine HBr 0.0065mg; per 5mL; contains alcohol; grape flavor.
Concordia Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Indications for DONNATAL ELIXIR:
Adjunct in irritable bowel syndrome, enterocolitis, duodenal ulcer.
5–10mL 3–4 times daily.
<10lb (4.5kg): not recommended. 10lb (4.5kg): Initially 0.5mL every 4hrs or 0.75mL every 6hrs. 20lb (9.1kg): 1mL every 4hrs or 1.5mL every 6hrs. 30lb (13.6kg): 1.5mL every 4hrs or 2mL every 6hrs. 50lb (22.7kg): 2.5mL every 4hrs or 3.75mL every 6hrs. 75lb (34kg): 3.75mL every 4hrs or 5mL every 6hrs. 100 lb (45.4kg): 5mL every 4hrs or 7.5mL every 6hrs.
Glaucoma. Porphyria. Unstable cardiovascular status. GI or GU obstruction. Paralytic ileus or intestinal atony. Toxic megacolon. Severe ulcerative colitis. Myasthenia gravis. Hiatal hernia. History of paradoxical reactions to phenobarbital.
Renal or hepatic impairment. Autonomic neuropathy. Cardiovascular disease. Hypertension. Hyperthyroidism. Drug abusers. High environmental temperature. Gastric ulcer. Diarrhea. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Barbiturate + anticholinergics.
Potentiated CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Additive anticholinergic effects with other anticholinergics, narcotics, type I antiarrhythmics, antihistamines, phenothiazines, tricyclics. May antagonize anticoagulants, CYP450 substrates.
Drowsiness, anticholinergic effects, paradoxical excitement.
Tabs—100, 1000; Elixir—4oz, pt
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Healthcare Community Should Favor More Restrictive Alcohol Policies
- How to Respond to a Patient's Request for Prayer: A Clinician's Dilemma
- Major Barriers to Useful Risk Prediction Must Be Overcome to Reach the Full Potential of Big Data
- ACA Coverage Gains Include Workers Without Insurance
- Steps Provided for Discharging Patients From Practice