DITROPAN XL Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Oxybutynin chloride 5mg, 10mg, 15mg; ext-rel tabs.
Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for DITROPAN XL:
Overactive bladder with symptoms of urge urinary incontinence, urgency, and frequency. Neurologic detrusor overactivity symptoms in children.
Swallow whole. Take with fluid. Initially 5mg or 10mg once daily; may increase weekly in 5mg increments; max 30mg/day.
<6yrs: not recommended. ≥6yrs: Swallow whole. Take with fluid. Initially 5mg once daily; may increase in 5mg increments; max 20mg/day.
Urinary or gastric retention; uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma; or patients at risk for these.
Discontinue if angioedema develops; consider discontinuing if anticholinergic CNS effects occur. Bladder outflow or GI obstruction. Ulcerative colitis. Intestinal atony. GERD. GI narrowing or stricture. Pre-existing dementia. Parkinson's disease. Myasthenia gravis. Decreased GI motility in those with autonomic neuropathy. Exposure to high environmental temperatures. Hepatic or renal impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Increased drowsiness with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Additive anticholinergic effects with other anticholinergics. May be potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors. Decreases GI motility, possibly affecting absorption of other drugs. Caution with drugs that can cause or exacerbate esophagitis (eg, bisphosphonates).
Dry mouth, constipation, somnolence, headache, diarrhea, nausea, tachycardia, blurred vision, dry eyes, other anticholinergic effects.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Significant Rates of Major Depressive Disorder Found in Dementia
- Link Between Vitamin D Levels and Intracranial Volume in Schizophrenia
- TBI Linked to Increased Suicide Risk
- Behavioral Executive Dysfunction Associated With Chronic Kidney Disease
- Factors That Predict Treatment Outcomes, Remission in Pediatric OCD